Friday, June 26, 2009

How Much Are You Worth?

When I was a kid I asked my dad how much he would sell me for. To my amazement and outrage he said $100,000. But he reassured me that I was worth more than one of my brother's, who he said he would sell for $50,000.

Of course I know my dad was teasing, but in a story I had to write today, I was reminded of the memory.

In November a 15-year-old boy died. The .38 caliber hand gun was meant to be used only as a sound prop for the high school play the teen was participating in. One thing led to another and the next thing school staff and police knew they had a dead boy on their hands.

It was a tragedy. From what I can tell the family has suffered painfully through it. Who wouldn't? I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a sibling nor do I want to find out. I can't even begin to imagine how the parents must feel.

The family has decided to sue the police and school district for wrongful death. Reading over the claims, I can't tell you how many times I read the word "negligent." And what's the amount for? We're looking at more than $2 million.

Suing, especially in death cases, are so interesting to me because people have to put a dollar amount to their loss. But how do you put a dollar amount to the life of a child? When I think about it that way, $2 million just doesn't seem to be enough.

And why do people sue in the first place? Do they sue because wrong was truly done, or because they think they can get some money out of it? In this particular case I think wrong was done, but I think a $2 million hit to the school district and police department would not only be detrimental to those entities but also those involved with them. The schools would suffer and so would the streets.

As I look at this in the grand scheme of things and I wonder if it's worth it.

A person's life is priceless and unique. Once it's gone, it can never be brought back or replicated. No dollar amount can right the wrong of that boy's death. So how do we deal with it? I don't have that answer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I didn't know that is what the family was doing. Sad day. But hopefully, they'll understand the importance of their child's life instead of putting a cost on his life. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete