Friday, June 19, 2009

Receiving a Diploma Behind Bars


The actual accomplishment of receiving a high school diploma wasn't that big of a deal to me. It was just something I had to do. The day I completed high school and was given that piece of paper of completion was just another step closer to moving out of my mom's house and gaining freedom. At least that's what it was for me in my mind.


The inmates in Purgatory Correctional Facility have the opportunity to get a high school diploma or GED. Many of them take advantage of the adult education, and earlier this week I got to watch several men and one woman stand proudly in their caps and gowns as they received their high school diplomas.


Some of them were 18 years old. One man was 37. It didn't matter the age, each one was proud to pull the tassle from the right over to the left and be an official high school graduate.


While I was in the jail listening to the inmates' stories I couldn't help but respect their accomplishment and realize that a high school diploma or GED means much more than just a piece of paper or a means to get of your parents' house. Each one of those inmates worked hard to receive their diploma and they proudly received it.


Whether we realize it or not, a high school diploma or GED is the gateway to higher education. In most cases we can't move forward without accomplishing one of those.


Some of the people I talked to in jail that day have already had a lifetime of experience. They know how to work. But for one reason or another life's circumstances brought them to jail. One man said he'd been in jail 20 years of his life. But now they are making a change. They resolved to do something positive and do more than what they have done.


There's only one word I can think of when I think of these inmates, and that's respect. Some of them will still be in jail for another year and some don't know if they'll get out; they still might be institutionalized. It doesn't matter though. They've done something positive with their lives and it's another step forward.
Photo provided by Jud Burkett.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting perspective on what brings people to the state of incarceration.

    ReplyDelete