Monday, May 18, 2009

Burr

When I got to work today at the bright early hour of 10 a.m. I felt like an ice-cold wind rushed right through me as I opened the door to the office. You see, in St. George it gets hot, REALLY hot. Today we broke 100 degrees. So of course air conditioning is absolutely necessary and absolutely appreciated.

What I don't appreciate is when "the powers that be" keep the office at an ice-box temperature. How do they expect me to function in that kind of environment? I keep a jacket at the office all sumer long to fight off frost bite and take regular trips outside to defrost in the blazing heat. 

The first summer I was at this office, I entreated the IT guy to assist me in my plight, and get the temperature turned up a few notches. Come to find out the thermostat is locked in a plastic box which is nailed to the wall. I don't know who can get there, the IT guy doesn't know and it seems I haven't been able to find anyone who knows how to control the temperature in the office.

So here I am into my third summer. I have the features editor in a sweater, my editor with a space heater under his desk and coworker around the corner from me wrapped in a blanket. Yep. This is going to be another chilly summer.

2 comments:

  1. Of course I can identify wiht this "wintry tale" I have noticed in all church buildings etc. they have the thermostats in boxes, however they are not under
    "lock down" Good luck staying warm and hold your ground, frozen though it may be. Some one is bound to know the secret of the "box"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, life is uncomfortable, from the moment of our first breath, we kick, cry and scream only shutting up when we finally realize that nobody is listening. If its too cold for you, wear a jacket. That should be the least of your worries. People in Africa die of starvation, Iraq for going outside their homes without a shawl and in North Korea, for professing their faith possibly saying they are cold. Get a tougher skin, there are bigger things to worry about than being slightly cold, would you rather not have air conditioning? Deal with it, life isn't always going to be eggs benedict and feathered pillows.

    Secondly, write something of substance, otherwise people aren't going to take the effort to read what you wrote. People always talk about the weather or skate over the surface of topics. Write something with meaning, make a difference. Otherwise there is nothing to differentiate you from the rest of the multitude. I applaud your effort of getting your voice out there, but please make it worth the effort to write or listen and say something more than a commentary on the weather.

    ReplyDelete