Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Fight Against Domestic Violence


While working on the public safety beat I found there were certain topics I really enjoyed writing about. One of the many was domestic violence.

Of course domestic violence isn't a necessarily uplifting topic, and usually the stories that go with that subject are horrifying and sad. That's not why I liked writing about it.

When I wrote about domestic violence it made me feel in a small way I was providing justice to the victims and punishing the perpetrators. By bringing the shameful crime out from behind its closed doors and bringing it to paper and ink I felt I was doing something good, providing a service no police officer could. I was, at least I hoped, educating masses about the ugliness of domestic violence.

Anyway, since I've been off the public safety beat I haven't had to deal with the monsters of society, which to be honest is kind of nice. But I have to confess I do sometimes miss the blackness.

On Tuesday I was at a work session for city council. Two women approached the council entreating them to support them in obtaining a grant to get 24 apartments in able to house women and their children who were victims of domestic violence. I was amazed to see the overwhelming support of the council, and so were the two women. I wrote a story about the request which ran in today's paper.

It always amazes me the power, conviction and passion women have, especially when it comes to fighting against domestic violence. It also astounds me the number of people who turn a blind eye to the issue.

I hope these two women can get their apartments for their cause. More people like them are needed in the war against domestic violence.

2 comments:

  1. Now, because of my sex, I am noticeably biased in this topic. But I appreciate your thoughts. Also, if a man does that to a woman, the woman should leave his a$$. He is not worthy of any companionship except the demons pulling at him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this one very compelling Tiff, you definitely are passionate about the issue and it comes through in your writing. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete