Monday, May 25, 2009

How we remember


As a kid growing up in Hawai'i Memorial Day didn't mean much to me. Throughout my teenage years the day was always portrayed to be a holiday where everybody had barbecues, went to the lake or beach and just got out of town.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I began to realize the sanctity of the day.

It was in 2007 that I covered my first Memorial Day. My assignment was to go to the city cemetery where a presentation was planned to be put on by a group of veterans. Not expecting anything spectacular I decided this was going to be a "quick and dirty" assignment. Just get in and get out.

First was the presentation of the colors, then of course the Pledge of Allegiance and then I think for the first time I heard a veteran play "Taps" on the bugle. On an assignment I hoped to breeze through, changed in an instant. The somber sounds moved me nearly to tears.

Listening to those vets as they told their stories made me realize how lucky I was to live in this country and how I stood on hallowed ground where so many brave soldiers were buried at that very cemetery.

Before this experience I've had the opportunity to speak to soldiers from wars past. Some of their stories have literally brought tears to my eyes. And as I reflect now on this Memorial Day I can say that I'm not glad I have the day off because it's a chance to hit the lake or get out of town. I'm glad I have this day off to observe this hallowed, sacred day for those men and women who have served our country and those who have long since died to protect our freedom.

2 comments:

  1. Good, this was a good post. They are becoming more substantial than white mist. I liked this one. But just because you observe a sacred day doesn't mean you can't kick off your shoes and enjoy a barbecue. Besides whomever mandated that observance and memorials needed to be solemn occasions needs to rethink their approach. The bending of one's soul does not have to happen on bended knee ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a nice change of heart in this post. You learned a bit about how Memorial Day is respected by our Veterans, but more importantly how it brought reverence to you. I think it was nice to see a softer side. Again like you said, "died to protect our freedom," bended knee or not it is an honor and great tribute to those who had and still do protect and fight for freedom! Good work.

    ReplyDelete