Friday, May 29, 2009

To Err is Human


To be a journalist, it takes more than having a love of writing and talking to interesting people. With all the ups, like with any profession, there are some downs. Keep in mind, I love my job. I
wouldn't trade it for anything. That doesn't mean there aren't days I don't want to tear my eyes out.

For some reason if you're a journalist, I have found, the public doesn't think you're human. It's probably because all they see is a name and a story. So since they don't think you're human, people can't BELIEVE when you make an error.

STOP THE PRESS! We have a journalist who's human and makes mistakes? That's front page news if you ask me.

I vent this to you because I want to write for the record that I am human and the past couple days at work have been horrendous because I made mistakes that I let slip through my fingers.

I wrote a story about a city's budget and how the community center they built is $1 million in a deficit. I misquoted the city manager in regard to the city budget general fund and the role it played with the community center. I don't really have an explanation for my mistake except I didn't read the story before I
sent it off to be copy-edited. When the assistant to city manager called me and related the mistake to me, I apologized and told her I would make a correction. Of course I got nothing but a condescending attitude from her. Why do people who are employed by cities think
they're so much better? And why do they think and expect me to be perfect?

Of course I know journalists are held to a higher standard of accuracy, but when mistakes do happen. When they do, is it really necessary to be condescending and rude? Really?

There were a couple other indiscretions this week that hit the stands. They were small, but big enough to aggravate the public. As a journalist you have to learn to let the meanness of people just roll off your back, because if you hold on to it, you'll never be productive.

5 comments:

  1. Yea, but the great thing about daily news is that it's here today and gone tomorrow. We all get a chance to do it again, better, every day. Keep up the good work.

    -C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now. No worries everyone makes mistakes. I still love you Tiff!!

    Sarah

    (megan's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And one of those mistakes that hit the stands on Friday was a totally botched a headline that I wrote for one of Tiffany's stories. I am officially apologizing to her and to anyone else. It was a stupid mistake and I need to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To err is human, to forgive divine. Despite our own flawed nature, it is our sysiphean struggle to become perfect. Perfection in all ways, including forgiving ourselves as well as others for the mistakes made and moving on. Stepping once more and shouldering our burdens, that we might live a perfect life in a flawed world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Props Tiffany, you often need a hard outer shell when working in the eyes of the public. Freedom of Press includes freedom to make mistakes, Lord knows I know what I am talking about right now! So to all those haters, that is all they are.. haters wishing bad on others only because they are miserable in their own "write"... N

    ReplyDelete